WRAP-UP: MoshFest - May 21st, 2011

Tyler, TX. It's a dead zone. Don't go there if you have T-Mobile and expect to have reception. Having said that, this show started out as an odd mix of hardcore and "crab"-core, but all of the latter bands dropped, so it ended up being just a solid Texas hardcore show. There were bands representing DFW, Austin, San Antonio and even Longview, TX, which was a pleasant surprise.

This was a sort of homecoming for our guitarist who grew up there and spent most of the 90's playing in bands [Eleventh Hour, 1066, etc] and putting on shows. Needless to say, this was not the Tyler he had left behind.

We rolled into town around 2:30PM and made our way to the venue, which turned out to be the hollowed out shell of a former strip club. Pulling up the show, we were asked to step out of the vehicle by the promoter of the show and handed "VIP" wristbands. Border Patrol tactics is not how you treat VIP's. We were scheduled to play at 5:00PM, but come to find out 5 bands had dropped, the set-times got shifted around.

Being that we didn't need to be there til later, we opted to leave Austin earlier in hopes of catching TRUTH. Due to the schedule changes, we arrived earlier then needed. Burden Me opened up the show, followed by Truth. Now Truth plays pretty straight forward Youth Crew styled hardcore. It's fast, positive and Straight Edge. They could use some fine tuning, but overall did a good job. They're new, so I forgive them. They just need to stick to it, and get their shit on lock. They did cover BOLD, so that scored them major points.



Prior to our set, Seth of Losing Grip asked me to speak to a group of misguided youths in neon clothing who were way too young to be smoking tobacco, so I obliged. After scolding them and pretending to call the cops on them, to which they freaked out, I told them to come watch the next band. They obliged. I think we were the only band they actually saw throughout the entire show. It was a fun set. People seemed into it, including one dude whose dad is younger then both our singer and guitarist.

I was kind of all over the place, so I can't remember which bands I saw, but a group of us did leave for a minute for a pizza buffet break before Losing Grip's set. After a short drive and 20 slices of pizza later, we got to the show and caught the latter half of Humanerror'shttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif set. Unfortunately, we missed End Times, but there was pizza pie in our eyes.

This was advertised as Losing Grip's last show, but I hope they consider doing at least one last show at home. Regardless, it was as solid a set as I've ever seen them play. The riffs were heavy and the mosh was ignorant. I was told after the fact that I smashed one of the dudes from Truth repeatedly in the face. Sorry, bud. Last show or not, I'm glad I was there to see them play.

Unfortunately, we had to dip before Power Trip played, but I heard it was good. I got word of chair mosh. I fully support chair mosh. YouTube user, sleeveywonder888 posted videos of Truth, Cosmic Rite, Black Body, Vaste Burai and Power Trip, so go check those out.

No comments: