WRAP-UP: Chaos in Tejas [Part 1]

Last night was the only night that I had no tickets for any shows, but I still managed to catch Hooded Menace, the Spits (partially), TRAGEDY and Origin of [M].

Got into downtown Austin around 8:30 after getting out of work. Missed Mammoth Grinder's set at Red7, so I spent a lot of the night meeting up with friends who had just gotten into town. Saw friends from Canada and a lot from San Antonio. Donger managed to slime his way into a lot of shows, so I'm jealous of him, but my night still went well. Hooded Menace was so fucking heavy. Excellent. Banged my head with Chase Money and spoke briefly with my boy, Ribz, about a certain piece of Type O Negative merch. Pretty sure I spotted DFJ getting down to the Menace, too.

I caught part of the Spits set before regrouping with D-Bag and heading East to the Broken Neck. Had to wait for him to get out of the Cro-Mags show at Emo's. Unfortunately, I didn't have $30 dollars to spare. Bummed. Listened from outside with some San Antonio homies and Big Country. Just after the Mags covered Bad Brains, I spotted Greg Willmott of Lockin Out fame getting kicked out for fighting, which didn't actually happen. Had a few words with him just before splitting to the Eastside.

CRO-MAGS at Emo's: Can you spot the Dustin?

There were tons of heads out at the Broken Neck by the time we rolled up. Once the joint was packed and all the other shows in DT were through, Origin of [M] did their thing. I was definitely feeling it. Some solid NY style riffs were being laid out. I support just about any Japanese HC bands. After a one song encore, Origin of [M] finished their set and within a few minutes, Tragedy was ready to rip through the crowd. I hadn't seen them since their appearance at Chaos in Tejas 2006, so it was great to finally get to see them again. The crowd was going insane. It was impossible not to be moving. The whole venue was packed, wall-to-wall, with punks from around the world, and they were eating it up. After ripping through a solid set, they called it a night due to technical difficulties [the drummer busted his snare drum.]


After finally making it out of the Broken Neck and saying bye to some friends, DonJuan and I made our way to the Super8, so he could get some of his stuff from the Canadians. Once we finally made it home, it was 5:00 AM. SLEEP.

Today is a new day. See everyone at Unbroken tonight. Make sure you get there early to catch POWER TRIP. Big Freedia at Red7. Ass Everywhere. Double Negative aftershow at the Broken Neck.

LET'S DO THE DAMN THING!

No comments: