REVIEW: Casting Curses - Dirt Road

I got my hands on a two-song digital promo that Panic Records released earlier today in anticipation of Casting Curses' new LP. In the wake of their acclaimed EP, Cold All Over Again, Casting Curses' have gone to work writing their follow-up record. The Dirt Road Single features the song Let's Ride which shows the band taking a more straight forward approach to songwriting, while still maintaining their usage of effects and sudden tempo changes. Cold All Over Again saw them playing a tune that some say was in the vein of 108 and Burn, and at times, their sound was even akin to bands like Hot Cross, but I get more of an early 2000's Louisville vibe with this new song, not unlike that of Black Cross but heavier. The second song is actually a cover. Sex Type Thing. I am actually a fan of STP, and I'd say this cover does the original some justice, if only lacking in the vocals department. It's interesting to hear Casting Curses put their spin on it, though. Overall, it's got me intrigued to see what they will put together for the LP. You can get the Dirt Road DEP through iTunes.

No comments: